Skip to main content

Christmas Cards




I love this time of year, there’s just something about Halloween through Epiphany that speaks to my soul. Halloween is just good fun, we get to shed our daily personalities and be what we want for an evening. Then Thanksgiving really is a time for me to reflect on what I’m thankful for and at the heart of that is always my family. I always think about them in a more pressing, way if that makes sense, starting in November and through Advent and into Christmas. The past years of Thanksgiving and Christmas meals tumble through my mind. 

I think of how we’ve grown and aged. I remember and re-mourn those we have lost. I delight and rejoice in those we have gained. When Advent comes I love getting out the decorations and ornaments as they bring back old memories to life - as you know from my past writings this is particularly true of my handmade ornaments. But I have another collection that comes out of storage this year that also means a lot to me. My Christmas cards. 

You might be asking why Christmas cards. After all, I know a lot of people who just throw them away when Christmas is over. That’s not me. For me there’s two ways I can easily connect to the past - hearing a person’s voice (which is why I’m still looking for the interview tape of my Grandfather) or seeing their handwriting. Which is why I love my Christmas cards so much! 

Every Christmas, I look at the cards my Grandfather gave me. I see his handwriting and I feel his hug. I smell his cologne. I hear his voice, “Ho, Ho, Ho, how’s my Red Head?” 

I look through the rest of my cards and see the handwriting of other family members, some no longer with us, of friends, some I haven’t seen in decades because we live so far apart and I smile. Some of the cards are handmade - a present in and of themselves - and I treasure them even more because it’s a talent I don’t possess. So many wonderful memories flooding back. Bittersweet mixed with joy. 

But this year it’s dawned on me how badly I’ve taken care of my cards. I’ve allowed the box to get way over stuffed. Cards and envelopes have become separated. I’ve stored the ribbon I hang my cards from in the box and some of the paper is bending to the stress on the ornaments. 



So this year I’m making a plan to clean it up. 
  1. Separate the cards that are just decor from the sentimental. 
  2. Reduce the number of decor cards. I have way more than I need to decorate and it’s time to make room for new ones. 
  3. Measure the size of my sentimental cards and order an archival box with some space to grow. 

I’m going to give myself some time for this project because I know I’ll be a little slow when it comes to the sentimental cards because I’ll likely want to read them all. But even then I think it shouldn’t take me more than a couple of hours. 

And that time will be so worth it to know that the cards from my parents, my grandparents, my sister, and Ryan’s parents and grandparents are safe, protected, and ready to be passed on to our daughters.


Popular posts from this blog

Looking Outside the Museum World

Recently at AAM 2009 in Philly I went to a session called "Eye On Design II." The point of the session was to have ten people from the museum world look outside the museum world for inspiration. The concept is not new to me and I think it is important for anyone to look outside their career field for inspiration. Frankly, it's a pretty simple way to keep the creative juices flowing. Until recently I have always looked to the education field for inspiration. I mean after all there are a lot of similarities. Both fields have the goal of instilling knowledge. Both often have inadequate budgets and all to often staffs are not really paid what they are worth. Through several educational podcasts that I listen to I've found teachers are fabulous resources for figuring out how to achieve wonderful things with no budget. But this session at AAM has inspired me to open my eyes even more and search out other fields that can inspire my work in museums.

No Idea What to Do With It, Yet

  Like a lot of people, I have heirlooms in my collection that I have no idea what to do with. The best example is probably something most people wouldn’t be able to identify by looking at it. It’s the steel toe from a work boot. In fact it’s the steel toe from one of my maternal grandfather’s work boots. My sister has the other one. Grandpa didn’t give them to us. In fact no one in the family gave them to us. My sister built her house on an acre of land next to where my grandparents lived, close to where Grandpa’s work shed had been. Our best guess is that these were from a discarded pair of work boots he wore while working on the railroad. The leather from the boots probably long since decayed leaving the steel toes. The archeologist in me kind of wants to dig around some more and see what else might be found, but I’m not sure my sister would appreciate turning her flower beds into a muddy mess. So in the meantime, I’m going to be using a soft bristle brush to get rid of any loose di

It’s Ok to Use It

  I’m often asked, “But what should I DO with my family heirloom?”  My response is always, “What do you want to do with it?” At this point people are often taken aback. I think they assume I’m going to tell them to lock it away in storage and never use it again for fear of breaking or damaging it. In some cases, that may be what might be best for the object. You have to consider the condition its in and what your goals are for it. If it is a book in poor condition, but you are hoping your great-grandchildren will get to see it. Then, yes, probably the best thing to do is stabilize it and store it, taking it out occasionally to check on the condition, but to try to manipulate it as little as possible.  Other objects don’t necessarily need to be treated so delicately. For instance, something I chose that belonged to my maternal grandmother was soup bowls. There were only two of them and they aren’t valuable. They're Anchor Hocking from the 1970s. They were her everyday dishes. So why