Skip to main content

Join the Conversation: Crystal Bridges and iTunes U

The reason I was drawn to the use of technology in museums is that it has the power to make the museum more accessible.  Unfortunately a museum can’t be open 24 hours a day 7 days week, but through technology the art and museum programs can be.

My duties at Crystal Bridges include managing the mobile app and producing all the audio tours that have been published through the app.  But I also managed the Museum’s presence in iTunes U.

In case you are not familiar with iTunes U,  it is the section of the iTunes store that is dedicated to educational content.  All the content providers in that area are educational non-profits and all the content provided must be free.  Providers include such organizations as Harvard, Yale, the Smithsonian Institution, and The Museum of Modern Art, as well as other Arkansas providers – Arkansas Department of Education, University of Arkansas, and the Shiloh Museum of Ozark History.

On iTunes U the museum publishes recordings of our art talks, lectures, outdoor classes, and more, but my favorite thing to produce for iTunes U is the extended versions of our audio tours that are published in the CB Museum app.

You may not realize most of the audio tours are unscripted conversations about a work of art.  Most of the time 15 minutes is allotted for two people to discuss a work of art, though sometimes the conversations end up being longer, when people become engrossed in their discussion.  Now imagine having to cut those 15-20-minute conversations down to 2 minutes or less! It is by far one of the hardest aspects of creating an audio tour.

When recordings are published to iTunes U, however, I don’t have to worry about that.  Nothing gets left on the proverbial cutting room floor and every juicy morsel of the conversation, no matter where it leads, is shared.

To get you started I’ll suggest one of my favorites.  The discussion focuses on Dan Flavin’s work Untitled (to Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Inch) for the museum’s exhibition See the Light.  Then Director (now Museum President) Don Bacigalupi and Public Programs Coordinator Sara Segerlin have a fascinating conversation about why a seemingly simple light fixture is in fact a sculpture.

Also Published on the Crystal Bridges Museum Blog.

Popular posts from this blog

My Blog is moving

I'm consolidating my blog into my website to create more efficiencies. I would love for you to join me over at my newly designed website:  http://www.heathermariewells.com/ ! I've got new information about my upcoming online class, Basics of Vintage Photo Care, as well as a number of free download resources. I'll see you over there!

Projects

My current projects are many and varied. For the museum I'm currently cataloging and organizing a very large manuscript collection of papers from the International Order of Odd Fellows. I'm also trying to catch-up on editing some podcast episodes and planning an exhibit that will open in 2010. I'm in the process of writing an article for the Historic House Museum Affinity Group newsletter and I'm putting together a workshop on social media for the Arkansas Museum Association. On the personal front I'm currently working on creating a portfolio.

Go to an Educational Technology Conference

I recently got to go to the Educators' Technology Conference . It was actually organized by teachers for teachers so some people wonder why I went. Well in my opinion it is important for museum professionals who are planning on using technology in their museum to know what technology is being used in schools so you know if what you are creating is compatible. It was very enlightening. It was fabulous, but not surprising, to learn that teachers are looking for educational content online for use in the classroom. Their looking for audio, video, worksheets, presentations, in short anything to aid them in teaching their students. The disappointing revaluation is that they often don't know where to look or they are blocked from going to the sites they know about. There was much discussion about the websites teachertube.com and schooltube.com , two fabulous sites dedicated to offering a place to find safe content for educational purposes. I was shocked to find out that many ...